Monday, July 20, 2009

The Eternal Optimist

I find the current state of television shows depressing, exploitative, and not entertaining at all. To name a few that really fit this profile: Toddler's and Tiara's, Paris Hilton: My New BFF, and every news channel there is.

What will networks think of next to get viewers to tune in? Is there any hope?

I sometimes wondered what would happen if a society was overwhelmed with positive media for a week instead of another murder, another kidnapping, more crooked politicians?

Would people watching or reading be less interested? Or would they be less depressed and become more helpful and hopeful?

A favorite actor of mine, Michael J. Fox, filmed a documentary on optimism that I couldn't have been happier to come across tonight. Alright so I'm like 2 months later than the rest of the world, but I'm not much of a tv-watcher to begin with so I'm surprised I came across it THIS soon *LOL* It's titled "The Adventures of An Incurable Optimist".

I was especially intrigued by his visit to Bhutan, a Buddhist society that values joy in everyday, mundane activities. In 2006, Business Week magazine rated Bhutan the happiest country in Asia and the eighth-happiest in the world, according to Wikipedia.

Sounds like a great place find some optimism. That's my kinda place!

But it wasn't just his visit to Bhutan or his interview with Lance Armstrong or his research into the genetic roots of optimism that got me; It was his journey, his experiences, his wisdom, his subtle humor about life, and ultimately his optimism that made me want more. It inspired me to become more optimistic myself and also be more accepting of who I am flaws, failures, and all.

Some that know me may tell you I can't get any more optimistic but like a true optimist I would say "There's always room for growth and improvement".

So thank you TLC, A&E, ABC, and every other network broadcast this special. We need more of these!

My gratitude also goes out to Mr. Michael J. Fox for filming this documentary. You are my new muse. Next book on my "to read" list: his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment