Monday, July 6, 2009

DAY 1 : The Basics

It almost felt rebellious to wake up this morning and not go to work. *snicker*

It was a really nice change though, especially since I've waited so long to find an appropriate course (and school) to attend. I had also forgot how much fun it was to go to art school. If only I could get paid to do that :)

I left myself lots of time for travel, to find my classroom, and a nearby coffee shop to grab a warm drink. I was surprised that Granville Island had such an energy so early in the morning!

After wandering the island for a bit and taking in the sights, it was off to class.

We begin with introductions, a class overview, and quickly dive right into the good stuff, discussing effective communication design. Many examples of past and current advertising campaigns were used to really drive the message home.

Later in the morning, the process of conceptualizing, research, and technique were also points focused on and the afternoon was spent discussing symbols and communicating a message through icons and images only.

For our assignment we were paired in 3's and given 3 different symbols to design as a group. After we finished conceptualizing them, each of us had to finalize and mount one design each, for presentation and critique in class tomorrow. As simple as it sounds, it was definitely a challenge to make our symbols communicate the way we wanted.

I guess we'll see how well we did tomorrow when we have an actual audience to interpret them.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment