Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Be Creative to Be Creative

I read a great article a couple of days ago that outlined finding your creativity and being creative in order to find it. (Quite the catch-22)

I know at times my creativity goes A.W.O.L. and I'm left with a lot of empty space in my head. It's quite frustrating, especially when I'm in the mood to create but my right brain is not; it can be quite the battle. When that happens, I tend to completely shut off and step away hoping to gently coax my creativity back. (Is this just a "me" thing?)

I've told you about my Do Not Design days right? Well, sometimes it takes more than one for my creativity to appear again and when it does come back, the ideas are abundant (and usually show up at 2am or in a dream so gotta keep that bedside sketchbook handy).

This article not only got me thinking about stepping back more often, but made me ask myself what I could do to prevent such peaks and valleys.

My thought was not going into a creative coma, but to switch gears. Instead of being on the computer designing, surfing, playing, then vegging for days on end, maybe getting back to the roots of art class would be a better, more productive, option? (I know, I know...bad me for not doing that already.)

Now that I think of it, there were a lot of really great art projects that I had such a great time exploring. It would be a great switch from staring at a computer screen for hours on end at the very least.

Ooh remember the good old days of designing a page layout or designing type by hand?!
It's time to pull out the old sketchbook.

1 comment:

bridgett said...

Thanks for commenting on my post. I should go back to the basics. They are collecting dust right now. Eek!

Post a Comment