Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Do Not Design

Some of you might think I'm totally crazy, but I have to admit, just recently I started implementing 'Do Not Design' days in my life.

Why?

Well, since I'm so passionate about design I get wrapped up in great ideas, fun books, brillant concepts, and dreamy visions and tend to forget there's a whole world happening out there (and right in front of me).

I work full-time in an unrelated field, so I can only be creative in the evenings and on weekends. And since I only have a small window to design and be creative, I fill that time doing just that, while life passes by. Maybe I fear not being productive? Maybe I fear creativity will slip away if I don't stay on top of it?

But I have to say as much as I hate to tear myself away from unfinished work or exciting new ideas, it's quite interesting what that one day does. It's as if a portal opens and more ideas explode from my ever-busy brain.

I've also come to realize that being busy all the time, is no way to live my own life (personally) because I have no time for fun stuff, for mindless relaxation. I guess that's the workoholic in me that needs taming and this is the only way I know how to tame the creative beast. To set limits.

And this post further proves that I'm almost too crazy about design. Even on my "Do Not Design" day (which should be today)...I'm still creating, I'm still thinking, I'm still dreaming design.

I just can't seem to douse the fires that burn!

No comments:

Post a Comment