Sunday, April 18, 2010

Disconnect to Reconnect

For the past few months I've been yearning to get outdoors more and spend more time with my mother...

Nature, that is.

Today I got the opportunity to spend the afternoon at a beautiful lake, trail blazing with a close friend. The location is somewhat remote despite the fact that it's just a 15 minute drive from civilization and the scenery is divine; Mountainous, vast amounts of trees, fast-running waterfalls, rough trails, an outdoorsy dream!

As I walk the trail and pass people along the way, I noticed the Gucci bags, the D&G sunglasses, and Lululemon yoga wear being sported and it didn't quite fit for me. It seemed so odd that we were in the thick of nature and these items still mattered to some. I even took a look at myself and even I was transformed from my natural form; my wildly colourful hair, my expensive glasses, my cell phone in tow.

Nature is raw, nature is pure, nature doesn't care, it is what it is, and yet us (as humans) always try to make life out to be more than it is. We place value on items that really have no value in nature. We care, even when there's no one around to see us. It was such a disconnect, a distance from where we were standing to the world we live in and have created for ourselves that it left me wondering what all of that "stuff" is really doing for us, and why we were willing to waste so much energy on it all?

We finished our walk with a good game of Gin on the beach in the middle of two mountains. The wind blew, the waves slowly splashed the shore. By the time we finished I was so relaxed and in such a Zen mode, I never wanted to go back to the hectic pace of life, the concrete jungle I live in.

When I got home, I deleted my Facebook account and decided to no longer Tweet, which might be a bit extreme. For now, the only form of online communication I want to concentrate on is this blog because it's a journal of my life that I've been neglecting and it's time to get back to it.

The people who really matter will keep in touch always. I don't need an application to tell me to touch base.

The time that I now have not keeping up with everyone elses life I can use to read, talk, relax, reflect.

And the energy I save not spreading it so thin on mundane tasks and people who couldn't care less, will be spent on rebuilding my soul, being more creative, and being in touch with things that actually matter.

It's time to get back to the things I enjoyed as a child, and still enjoy, so this is my first and last attempt to disconnect so I can reconnect with nature, with life...

...with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment