Monday, January 26, 2009

Silent Wisdom Crossed My Path

I was walking home after work tonight, cutting through a mall parking lot, pondering life's questions, when I look ahead and see what appears to be a large bird, flying quite low, heading toward me.

I wondered what such a large bird was doing hanging out in a concrete jungle with so many people and so many crazy drivers.

Upon further inspection, I realized it was a spotted owl.

Since photography is one of my hobbies and nature is my other, you can imagine my disappointment, and surprise, to have such a rare opportunity and not have a camera. But instead of snapping photos, I just enjoyed the moment as it was, for as long as it was going to last.

I observed him from a distance and hoped no one would disturb him so he could reach his destination without harassment. He was beautiful. What a rare, but wonderful moment; A first for me to see an owl up close and personal.

When I got home later, I was curious to see what the symbolism behind seeing an owl meant and how I could apply that to my life. Here's what I found:

The owl is symbolic of silent wisdom. They remind us that not all wisdom needs to be spoken or put on display and in fact the greatest wisdom of all will come from the heart. It will be something that you did not learn in any text book, something that you have never been told, but at the same time you know how to do something completely and correctly. This is the wisdom of our soul.

Remarkable hunters, these birds are said to help us to connect with our 'hidden talents and knowledge that is otherwise not obvious to us'. Owl energy can offer us the ability to understand the signs and signals around us. Not all cultures regard this bird as a 'good omen', some regard them as 'harbingers of doom and symbols of death'.

No comments:

Post a Comment