Friday, January 16, 2009

Fusing Design with Purpose

The world of design is filled with many obstacles, many lessons, and many tests, especially if you live in a hyper-inflated market of designers like Vancouver.

I know because this career path has personally challenged me to the point of exhaustion, frustration, and full on tears. It has been a career that has truly kicked my ass!

Every where I turned I was trying to prove myself, not make the same mistakes twice, or beat out the opposition on what felt like the tightest deadlines I ever encountered. On top of which I had to be creative, meet the clients needs, AND stay on top of my game with the latest trends and technology...whew! Those are some tall orders.

Over time, however, I was able to meet those challenges head on and become a whiz at multi-tasking, improving my attention to detail, becoming more creative and meeting those increasingly tight deadlines. It's truly an art-form.

But there came a point where I felt the career path I had chosen was meaningless.

So I wondered...
Is this what design is really all about?

If it was, I wasn't sure I wanted it anymore. It felt it didn't jive with my true nature. What as I really doing? What was I really achieving? What was I really contributing?

Although I appreciated every bit of experience I got along the way, I felt I had more to give, more to contribute than just a pretty logo or a fancy brochure.

A designers thoughts, ideas, and concepts are their own and I wanted mine to be a part of the bigger picture...a movement...hey...even a better world.

So I set foot on a journey years ago to find a higher meaning. I came across yet many more obstacles and thought that I had exhausted all of my options.

Maybe it didn't exist? I thought.

Well, if it didn't exist, I was going to create it. That's when I started a project to help fulfill that need and combine all of my passions.

Something I never thought existed, now exists. What a crazy process its all been.

And even though the graphic design world is crazy, challenging, frustrating, and sometimes a tough pill to swallow...I never stopped pursuing it.

Fulfilling dreams, contributing to the greater good, creating a better world...that's what design is all about to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment