Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Buyer Experience : Real or Just a Fake Fendi?

Stepping into Aritzia, shuffling through shirts in search of a flattering piece of apparel, I felt a little strange. Not because it was a store I rarely frequented but as I was shuffling through shirts priced at $90, I noticed that they were on cheap plastic hangers and simple metal racks.

Not that this particular 'way' of selling clothes particularly bothers me but in my minds eye, I had figured this place to be high-end. The prices certainly screamed that but how they were being presented to me felt like I was buying a fake Fendi out the back of a classic Cadillac. [Yes, I like my Sex and the City]

Where is the class? Where is the message that these clothes are worth what I'm paying? The buyer experience there was less than expected.

Now to prove I'm not a clothing snob, I'll compare Aritzia to a store who's got it right; RW&Co. One of my favorite stores to buy clothes from (when I can afford it). Just like Aritzia, they charge a premium for their clothes but the difference is in the presentation and experience. When I walk in, I know right off the bat I'm going to pay a mighty price for a well-designed piece of apparel. The racks are well designed to not make me feel like I'm bargain-shopping, the clothes are on wooden hangers, the store is clean and professional, the music doesn't make me feel like I'm clubbing at 10am. You see, I want to feel my hard earned money is being well spent and that the clothes I'm buying are worth their price-tag so much that they merit wooden hangers and a fabulous showcase.

But then again, maybe Aritzia has it right in giving the impression that people have stepped into another average clothing store. Or maybe it was just this location that sold their clothes that way? If it was, they have some serious branding issues.

Either way, there's something to be said about 'the buyer experience' and I think it should be taken into consideration when you're selling anything over $50.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I could not agree with you more.

I love it when $90 shirts are packed like sardines onto a rack and you have to use both hands to pry open up enough space on the rack so you can pull one horribly wrinkled specimen out.

No thank you. Stores like this make it so easy to hold onto my money.

Amanda said...

Thanks for the comment :) So glad you could relate.

Post a Comment